Who doesn’t love things that are tie-dyed!? Better yet, sweets that are tie-dyed! This cupcake recipe is easy to make and have very little ingredients so even if you aren’t that great at baking they will still be a breeze. Plus you can always change the colors around to match a theme for a birthday party, holiday, or whatever else you’d be making them for. I personally just make them and eat them all to myself so I’m not too picky on the colors…
Tie-Dye Rainbow Cupcake Recipe
- 1 Box Funfetti Cake Mix (PLUS ingredients called for on box)
- Food Dyes of Choice
- 1 Cup Butter
- 3-4 Cups Icing Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2-3 Tablespoons Cream
- Preheat oven to 375F. Prepare the cupcake batter according to package directions.
- Portion into cupcake liners and add drops of the food dye directly onto each cupcake. Use a toothpick to swirl the colors in. (You can alternatively dye 1/4 cup of cake batter and swirl approximately 1 teaspoon into each cupcake and repeat with at least one additional color.)
- Bake until the tops are set and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- To make the frosting, combine the butter, sugar and vanilla extract.
- Add the cream until you reach your desired consistency.
- Portion out into 3 bowls. Dye each bowl a different color using the food dye.
- Fit your piping bag with a #12 round tip and spoon the frosting in 1 Tablespoon at a time, pushing the frosting to different sides, so you can see all 3 at once – like a Venn diagram.
- *Alternatively, you can use a tri-color applicator tip.
- Twist the bag to secure and swirl your frosting onto the cupcakes.
- Take an offset spatula and flatten the frosting. Swirl a bit, as needed.